Nov 22, 2012

thankfulness

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope you all find yourselves surrounded by love and warmth this holiday season.

This time of year always has a way of jerking things into perspective for me. I've found that--often--no matter what the circumstances of my life--I can always find something that's not perfect. Or not completely the way I would wish it to be.

I want things I don't have. We all do, I know, but I feel that sometimes it's easier for me to focus on what I don't have then on what I do. Thanksgiving is a great reminder to put things in their place. To show me how much I've been blessed.

I love my husband, my family, my job. I'm not hungry. I have a roof over my head. I live in the number one tourist destination in America. And heck, I get to write books for HarperCollins (ie. live my childhood dream job).

And if I'm not thankful about that... then... well... that's pretty pathetic. So let me start my writing thankfuls here:

I'm thankful for my agent, Alyssa Eisner Henkin--who took a chance on ALL THAT GLOWS and rescued me like a drowning victim from the slushpile.

I'm thankful for my editor, Alyson Day--who also took a chance on Emrys and her story, and made my childhood dream of being published a reality.

I'm thankful for my critique partners, who have read my novels almost as much as me, and still don't want to throw them out of a window.

I'm thankful for the Lucky 13s, whose advice and support have helped keep me sane through the craziness that is pre-publication and sequel writing. *shudder*

I'm thankful for my husband, who has to put up with me and my craziness in pre-publication and sequel writing. And who loves me anyway.

I'm thankful for my parents, who taught me that anything is possible and that dreams are things to be chased, not laughed at. Who have supported me every step of the way.

I'm thankful for all of my writing teachers--Ms. Miles and Marjorie Wentworth and Bret Lott--for teaching me how to craft words and make them beautiful.

And I'm thankful for YOU, dear blog reader. Your comments and support make me feel much better about sending ALL THAT GLOWS into the wild next year. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment